Sunday, January 11, 2009

Here goes.......

















Well...after reading several friends blogs and seeing how much "fun" they can be I have decided to try it. Not sure how this will go or what it will end up being but I know that if nothing else it will hopefully make me work on some of the things I have been wanting to do.


My love of baking began when I was little sitting on my Grama's counter. Every weekend she would bake cookies or be making pie. She would send me down to the basement with her tin measuring cup to fill with lard! YES ...real lard! We would stir up the cookies and of course eat some of the dough. It was something that we did together for years, I really treasure those memories from Grama's kitchen. So I guess it is fitting to start my first blog off with one of Grama's recipes. One of my favorites is her corn bread. It is a moist, sweet bread that goes perfect with almost any soup on a cold winters day.


The recipe is as simple as opening a box of mix.

Corn Bread
1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375.
In medium bowl mix flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt & sugar. Cut in shortening. Pour in milk and eggs. Mix until blended. Pour into 9" pie pan (can also use muffin pans, makes 18 regular size muffins), bake at 375, 20-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


We have also added cheese to the top during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking for a little change. Hot peppers can also be added by placing on top of batter after pouring into pan(s). This makes a VERY sweet corn bread so if you like yours a little less sweet try it with half the sugar. If you like a really dense corn bread try it leaving out the baking powder, my family loves it this way the best. I personally like it baked just like the recipe states but in muffin tins. Remember not to overbake. The bread just gets a nice golden color on the very edges. It shouldn't be dry!
Okay....I can see that I may have to ask for help on getting my pictures in the right order and getting the text set right. I love trying to figure things out myself so hopefully I will get better at this as time goes on!














2 comments:

Heather said...

AWESOME FIRST BLOG ANGIE!! That looks yummy, we love sweet cornbread here in this house.

Heather said...

We would really like another blog angie, please?